Last Updated: Dec 2014
In 1926, An Idea is Born! Mr Bernard Boylan, was persuaded by his sister to attend a show given by the Provident Clothing Supply Company’s Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society.
Later, in 1927, his idea for a Catholic society became a reality with the foundation of St Joseph’s Musical and Dramatic Society. The Society’s first show, in November 1927, was to be ‘A Nautical Knot’; and members for both on and off the stage were recruited from the parishioners. Hard work followed and costumes were made, scenery was painted, props were either borrowed or made. Rehearsals commenced and the Society became a hive of activity.
The show ran for three nights in the Parish hall St Joseph’s School and was a huge success resulting in making a magnificent profit of £120 – a small fortune at the time.
In 1930 the name of the Society was changed to The Horton Catholic Players. However the following year it was decided that a more inclusive name was needed, and so The Bradford Catholic Players came into being!